Friday, May 4, 2007

TV or not TV

I'm going to put myself on the line and come right out and say it. I love watching TV. Blogging fits in well because I like to have something to do with my hands while watching. I never use my brain while blogging. In the past it's been crafts and now it's blogs. Most of my viewing pleasure comes from the fact that the stories are 180 degrees from everyday life. I think everyone, except government agents, police officers, horny doctors and wandering wives/husbands say that. All of those activities would give me a heart attack, so it's safer to watch TV. Ya. That's the ticket. I'm watching TV for my health. That's the reason and I'm sticking to it.

My favourites are usually comedy/drama, heavy on the comedy. Yet I will not watch the half-hour comedies that tell me the appropriate places to laugh by adding laugh tracks. Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives are in the top five of most human and non-human viewers. (Don't your animals watch with you? I read that this was a sign of unintelligence in cats and dogs. Of course, that does not apply to persons.) These will both have you shouting at the screen....."No, don't marry her. Marry Izzy."......"Susan, don't run outside in a towel. The door might accidentally cl---. OOps!"

For all out suspence (maybe not...we all know that Jack Bauer will save the day, the President, the girlfriend and himself) and for excessive excitement, you can't beat 24. It's like the old movie theatre serials.....one life threatening event after another ( Jack just saved his daughter...and now the wife is missing?) .....one catastrophic hour after another (Jack just saved the city from a huge bomb...and now we find out six more are hidden in the city?) The adrenaline keeps your heart pumping. I told you it was good for my health. And all this happens in one day.....hence the 24.

Then there is the CSI series. They find a winner and they copy it (CSI - LV) over (CSI - Miami) and over (CSI - NY) and over (NCSI ...that's Navy). They each try to outdo the others in the gore category. Want to get up close and personal at an autopsy? These are the shows for you. The best of the lot is MIAMI. It has David Caruso and the most beautifully shot scenery.

Another interesting show is.............no hisses or boos, please...............The Apprentice.
You sure don't watch this to see "The Donald". The draw is that the applicants have two days to plan, organize, advertise and rent venues to pull off different events each week. Thus showing the boss, who has the intelligence, imagination and all round good looks----Oh, I mean talent to be his apprentice. e.g. create a business involving dogs.....or make a one minute TV commercial for a new Proctor and Gamble product.....or arrange a golf tournament for Toyota executives.....or plan, prepare and serve a ten course banquet.....or with no money - beg, borrow or steal everything you need for a BBQ tailgate party before a football game. Does this theme tickle your fancy? Sorry. It's over for the season.

That (plus or minus the Datelines, 20/20s, and Frontlines) is my top five. Number six you ask..................everything else.................J.D.

9 comments:

Charlene Amsden said...

Tv? I watch NCIS and Numbers. Sometimes.

J. D. said...

Ya, Quilly, NUMBERS is good.

But how could I have not mentioned HEROES? It's one that you have to have seen past episodes to decipher. It may be confusing, even convoluted, so pay attention. With only two or three episodes left, the punch line I'm sure will knock us out. It better!.........J.D.

narcosis in paradise said...

Hi J.D. I like your TV line-up. I happen to be a big fan of CSI Miami myself, but they really have to make the scenes with Delco( when he's supposedly diving) more believable. Have a great weekend. :-) Wanda

I Dive At Night said...

Hmmm, I was about to post about how excited I was about suddenly having Comedy Central on basic cable here. But I bet South Park doesn't actually compare to your list of shows.

Wow, Wanda dropped by. J.D., she's one of my best ever diving buddies. See the old Hilma Hooker blog I made on Dec. 14. Strange twists of "it's a small world" :-) Hi Wanda! 2 more weeks to the IDC for me. :-P

J. D. said...

Holy air bubbles, Quilly. Wanda and Morgan, two divers, and they don't like the same TV programs! I'm surprised that not one, of you three, mentioned National Geographic Channel........J.D.

J. D. said...

Wanda...tonights "Miami".....rerun alert! Rerun alert!

narcosis in paradise said...

J.D. I hate reruns...lol And Morgan just keep rubbing it in, I know you're going to Bonaire, and I'm jealous !!! I am going to be diving in cold water and you're in beautiful clean warm water. Did I forget to mention how bad the ocean smells here too?? I have to wash my suit 4 times to get the stench out. Enjoy Bonaire.. :-)

J. D. said...

Wanda.....I also wish you were going, selfishly for two reasons. Morgan says you are a good diver. I trust his opinion and therefore I know he, and thusly I, would feel safer with you there, than having the lucky of the draw at the diving school. And secondly, you take great pictures. I thank you for the pics of yours that have been passed on in blogs or e-mails. Well done!.......Judy

narcosis in paradise said...

J.D., I wish I was going as well. Morgan is the best dive buddy I have had, and with 211 logged dives, that says alot. He will do well I am sure of it!!! I hope to dive with him again. Wanda