Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Bad, more bad, worst...(What comes next?)...yesterday, at my house.

Yesterday was not a good day for me. Something as simple as a ringing telephone started it off. It was a mid-morning call from someone who hasn't really talked to me for ten years. (I tried, early on, to no avail.) It left me feeling unsettled. Bells, rings and beeps haunted me the remainder of the day.

The gentlest of chirps, notified me that the two hour and fifty minute movie that I'd been changing from VHS to DVD had been a waste of time and had to be redone. Within seconds another buzzzz told me that a DVD backup I was making had stopped midway, once, and then again, causing me to ignore and then forget the intervening buzzer that told me the dryer load was finished. You know what happens to clothes when they are left in the dryer too long. It gives a reason for the iron to chime in to let you know it's hot enough to use. After that I thought I needed a change of pace and thought of i-tunes.

For the next forty-five minutes the clicks and pings kept telling me, "You can't get there from here!" Hubby walked in and asks why I'm using Google and not the i-tunes icon. Sometimes you just don't have time to stop and think and common sence can be so annoying. Three "unaccepted" beep-beeps later I just changed the damn password. By this time I'm becoming a little hyper. Hubby walks in and calmly writes the ID and password in a little black book containing all such forgettable info in our brave new world. He's saved the day again. Has the tide turned? I actually find a song and singer I've been looking for. Further investigation tells me that the artist.....is dead. Will this day ever end?

Two more r-r-r-rings from everyone's most hated wage earners, the telemarketers and I feel like falling to my knees. But, I knew if I did, I'd have to press the screeching "panic button" that advises that I've fallen and I can't get up. A third r-r-r-r-r-ring phone.....this one telling me a friend has broken her ankle. OMG Is it bedtime yet? The clock chimes-chimes-chimes-chimes-chimes five o'clock. Too early for bed, but, just in time to make some comfort food. I grit my teeth while the stove, oven and microwave all growl at me, "I'm done". "Me too." I say under my breathe.

Then....................believe it or not.................the door bell rings. Guests, that we expected tomorrow, appear cheerfully at our door. What to do? We laugh. We all enjoy gumbo, rolls and salad. Friends and laughter...what great stress relievers.

The day became officially "worse" when I missed taping 24, one of the top five.

Ten o'clock. How about a little bit of blogging before sleep? Fifteen minutes later.....no bells or whistles and no comment published on Quilly's "Dessert" blog either. That's when impatience kicks in. Go check Quilly's blog and you'll see that the only way to end a day like this is with a laugh.

How's your week so far?..............................J.D.

7 comments:

Charlene Amsden said...

My week started out high stress and I see no relief insight. Life as I know it is over. Well, until June 8th anyway -- the last day the school bell will ring this term.

Yay! No more pencils, no ,ore books, no more student's dirty looks!

Btw -- you have a uncommon senceical typo. (It's a teacher thing.)

J. D. said...

Quilly.....You little Dickens. How long will I have to pay? Have I committed a criminal offense? Should I make a run for Canada? Oh!...Ya. I better sign off before you give me some spelling homework.

One month to go...you can do that standing on one foot and balancing text books in outstretched hands, with a piece of chalk in your mouth, while you're counting kids in the bus on the year end class trip. Just be careful hopping on and off the bus. And after that take a couple of months off.

Minka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Minka said...

My week pretty much sucks. I am having back to back night-shifts and try the rest of the day waking up, to prepare...yes!...for another night-shift.
Endless fun!
I really have to get me one of them Tv things one of these days:)

Love the new background colour.
next lesson...
adding fun stuff to your sidebar...ready?

I Dive At Night said...

Uhm, wasn't there one GOOD phone call in all that mess yesterday?

*clears throat*

I got told three times today that an "important" hockey game was being played and televised tonight. Oops! Missed it!

My prediction for tomorrow (at least for me) is a subtle shift from hectic to manic. Muahahaha!

J. D. said...

Minka.....You actually have time to give lessons? I would really like to know how to add lists of my favourite books, music etc., under the title "about me". And I need another reminder of attaching pictures to others "comments". AND I have heaps of pictures I'd love to add to my blog. I hope you're not sorry you offered, dear penguin.

My dear Morgan.....You were the bright light of the day. I mentioned that in Quilly's "Comments" and knew you would read it. The story didn't call for two happy moments in that overwhelming day. Sorry you wound up on the cutting room floor.

Deleted...That's not a good sign. I can take it. I've been scolded by Quilly and we're still talking. Fess up, if you feel the need............Judy

Minka said...

JD...I think teh best way to do this is add me as a team member to your blog. It is in your profile....that way I can access your template and play give an example of how to add stuff and then you can just imitate my codes.
Let me know how this sits with you.
Otherwise...feel free to send me an e-mail at monikas@hive.is and we´ll chat a bit more clearly and detailed about these things. I´d love to help!